Unless it’s your first time taking passport photos, you probably already know how big they are supposed to be. But if it is your first time, then you came to the right place.
Sure, your photographer will know how big they should make your passport photos when printing them, at least, if you go with a quality passport photographer. But nevertheless, it helps to know the proper sizing before you go in for your appointment. This way, you can double-check if the photos you submit with your passport application are in the right size. In turn, you minimize the risk of your passport application getting delayed or worse–rejected.
So, how big are passport photos supposed to be?
Before we answer that, let’s talk about why knowing the proper sizing matters:
Why Does It Matter How Big Passport Photos Are?
Every country has specific requirements for passport applications, and certain governments are particularly strict about photo requirements. Everything from the type of paper you use down to the size of the picture itself has to follow the set guidelines. If your photos don’t meet the requirements, your passport application can get delayed or perhaps even rejected.
With that being said, it is extremely important to know how big your passport photos are supposed to be, along with every other crucial guideline that the Canadian government states. We will delve deeper into these guidelines in a later section. First, let’s answer the question at hand today:
So, How Big Are Passport Photos Supposed To Be?
According to Canada’s Passport Program, passport photos must be 50 mm x 70 mm or 2 inches wide and 22/3 inches long. Every professional photography studio should know the correct sizing for passport photos. Nevertheless, it won’t hurt to double-check so that you don’t run the risk of your passport application getting delayed.
A Quick Reminder Of Other Passport Photo Requirements
Along with proper photo sizes, there are other important rules to follow when taking your photos:
- Applicants must submit two identical and unadulterated photos with their passport application. The photos must come from a single negative or electronic image.
- Your passport photos must be taken by a commercial photographer. For clarification on this matter, read our article: Can you take your own passport photos?
- Photos must be taken within the last 6 months.
- The background must be plain white or light-colored with sufficient contrast between you and the background.
- You must wear a neutral facial expression while looking straight into the camera. Check out our previous blog on what passport photos should look like for more information.
- Photos must represent your natural skin tone.
- You can wear a head covering for medical or religious reasons as long as it does not conceal or cast shadows on your face.
- You can also wear prescription eyeglasses as long as your eyes remain clearly visible and there is no glare on the lenses.
- The length of your face from your chin to the top of your head must be between 31 mm and 36 mm.
- Sunglasses, tinted eyeglasses, large head accessories, and loud jewelry are not acceptable.
- You must not be casting a shadow in the background.
- Photos must show the full front view of your face and the top of your shoulders; you must be facing straight into the camera.
- Photos must be printed on high-quality photo paper. On the back of one photo, the photography studio must stamp or write the following details: the name of the photographer or studio, the complete address, and the date the photo was taken. Sticker labels are not acceptable.
- You can submit either black and white photos or colored photos.
- Photos must be original and must not be taken from an existing photo.
Where Can I Get Passport Photos Sized Properly?
As mentioned earlier, you cannot take your own passport photos. Only photos taken at a studio or by a professional photographer are accepted by Canada’s Passport Program. The photos you submit with your application must also contain the details of the studio (name and address) as well as the date when the photos were taken. That said, you cannot print and submit photos that you have taken on your own even if they look professionally done.
When taking photos for your passport, go straight to a reliable studio like ours. Here at Photo Studio Calgary, we get high-quality photos taken, printed, and stamped in just 5 to 10 minutes. With such great and fast service, you only have to pay $6.97 for 2 printed photos, a much lower price compared to other studios.
More than that, it is super easy to book an appointment. And with our prime location, we are accessible to many different neighborhoods in Calgary. So, all you need is to book your appointment, come in for your session, and we’ll get your passport photos done in no time.
But if you need more info on what places to take your passport photos, feel free to check out our previous blog!
How Big Are Passport Photos Supposed To Be? Closing Thoughts
The sizing requirement for Canada’s passport photos is easy to remember: 50 mm x 70 mm or 2 inches wide and 22/3 inches long! The good news is that you don’t have to remember the specific sizing at all. Simply drop by our studio and we will take care of the rest for you. For both passport and visa photos, we are up to date with all the specific photo requirements that the government imposes, so you can rest assured that your photos will be accepted.
Apart from passport and visa photos, we also offer photo printing in Calgary. With our top-quality printing service, you can preserve all your precious memories in sturdy prints that will stand the test of time. Need your photos enlarged or turned glossy? We can do all that, too!
Book your appointment today using our super easy booking tool and we will handle the rest.