Wondering what to wear for Canadian citizenship photo? That is a common question asked by people intending to apply for citizenship in Canada.
Some people might say you’ll be fine if your face is visible and you’re not wearing a hat. But others believe that what you wear in your citizenship photo can affect your application.
So, what’s the verdict? Is it essential to determine what to wear for Canadian citizenship photos? Let’s take a closer look at the requirements.
Does It Really Matter What You Wear for Your Canadian Citizenship Photo?
While there is no dress code per se, it is essential to choose carefully what you wear for your Canadian citizenship photo. Wearing appropriate clothing will ensure that your photo meets the requirements and help you avoid delays in processing your application.
What to Wear for Canadian Citizenship Photos: Best Practices
When you’re getting your citizenship photo taken, you want to look your best. Here are some tips on what to wear for Canadian citizenship photos:
Wear Something Neutral
You don’t want anything in your photo that could be offensive. Stick to solid colors like black, white, or navy.
This is not the time to break out your favorite ratty T-shirt. Wear something clean and pressed. Wrinkled clothes can make your photo look unprofessional.
Avoid Busy Patterns
Busy and textured patterns can be distracting in a photo. Again, stick to solid colors. If you must wear a patterned shirt, choose something small and subtle.
Take Extra Care When Wearing Glasses
If possible, avoid wearing glasses during your shoot to avoid any inconvenience. However, the Canadian government will accept your glasses if:
- Your eyes are visible and clear.
- The frame doesn’t cover your eyes.
- There’s no lens glare.
Wear Collared Clothing
It’s essential to keep in mind that the Canadian government will crop your photo before printing. Your face and the area just above your collarbone will be the only visible parts of you.
You should always wear a collared shirt or a top with a high neckline. A tank top or plunging neckline will make you look like you’re not wearing anything.
Avoid White Clothes
You don’t want to look like a floating head in your citizenship photo. To avoid that, refrain from wearing white, as your shirt will blend into the background if you do so.
Canada doesn’t allow hats or other head coverings in citizenship photos unless worn for religious reasons. The rule is in place because your face needs to be clear in the picture.
Canada also doesn’t allow uniforms in the photos unless these are clothes worn regularly for religious purposes. Examples of these are robes for nuns and monks.
Choose a More Classic Style
Try to wear clothes, hair, and makeup that are basic and classic. If you don’t, your photo could start looking dated too soon.
Other Tips to Help You Perfect Your Canadian Citizenship Photos
While you consider what to wear for Canadian citizenship photo, there are things you can do about other features of the image. The Canadian government has a list of guidelines on how to take your citizenship photo correctly:
- Photo size should be 50 millimeters wide by 70 millimeters high (2 inches wide, 2 and 3/4 inches long)
- Your face in the image should measure between 31 millimeters (1 and 1/4 inches) and 36 millimeters (1 and 7/16 inches) from the chin to the top of the head.
- The photo should be in focus and show your natural skin tone.
- Make sure you have a neutral expression on your face. You don’t want to smile or frown in your photo.
- The photo must show how you currently look. This means your image shouldn’t be older than six months.
- Your face and shoulders should be squarely in the center of the frame.
- Use a white or off-white background.
- Ensure there’s nothing in the background that could be distracting and affect the overall look of the photo.
- Avoid casting shadows on the background.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure your Canadian citizenship photo is perfect.
Looking to Get Your Canadian Citizenship Photo Taken in Calgary?
A professional photo service is necessary to ensure that your Canadian citizenship photo satisfies all regulations. Here are a few reasons why:
- A professional photographer will know the requirements for a citizenship photo in Canada, such as the size and background color.
- They will also be able to take a high-quality photograph that meets these requirements, ensuring that your citizenship photo has no issues.
- A professional photo service can provide you with additional copies of your citizenship photo. The copies are handy in case you need to restart your application.
Professional photo services are the best way to ensure that your citizenship photo meets all requirements. Remember, however, that the Canadian government ultimately decides whether to accept your print or digital image.
If you are looking for a photo studio in Calgary, Photo Studio Calgary is your best bet for getting Canadian citizenship photos that meet all requirements.
We have years of experience taking citizenship photos for Canada applications. Our friendly and welcoming staff will meet your needs at each step of the process.
Final Thoughts on What to Wear for Canadian Citizenship Photos
At the end of the day, what you wear for your Canadian citizenship photo should make you feel confident. You want to look your best, so choose an outfit that makes you feel good. And remember, you can always work with the pros.
To ease your worries, turn to Photo Studio Calgary. We’ll handle all the details and ensure you’re ready for your application. Aside from citizenship photos, Photo Studio Calgary also offers photo printing in Calgary, photo restoration in Calgary, and permanent resident card renewal. Schedule an appointment today and make your citizenship photo perfect.